Many successful people have dealt with numerous setbacks before they achieved success in their pursuits. Sometimes failure can overwhelm even the most tenacious person and giving up seems to be the only way left. I have had my fair share of setbacks in life and the last time when it happened, not only my emotions were adversely affected but also every other aspect of my life. Engulfed by the feelings of hopelessness, despondency and frustration, it becomes hard to find the strength to pick oneself up again. But failure does not mean the end of everything in our life. Life is always larger than a single disappointing moment which will eventually pass.
When faced with setbacks, I always turn my attention within first, to heal my mind and to find my ground before moving forward. Encouragements from our well-wishers and reading about the journey of other successful people are of great help during such times. Speaking of which, I stumbled upon a few quotes from people who had to face many setbacks and obstacles before being successful in their own pursuits. I have selected five quotes here; each presented in a different angle yet each wants to remind us of something that can help us connect again to our ground and inspire new motivation and determination.
Just when you think it’s over for you, check this out!
1. “When you feel like giving up remember why you held on so long in the first place” – Unknown
2. “When tough days come, think of your first day’s dream.” – Jack Ma, founder and Executive Chairman of Alibaba Group.
3. “Just remember why you started.” – Dwayne Johnson ‘The Rock’
4. “Never give up on something that you can’t go a day without thinking about.” – Winston Churchill, Former Prime Minister of the United Kingdom
5. “Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.” – Steve Jobs, co-founder and former CEO of Apple Inc.